St. Catharines Paratransit is a specialized bus transportation service operated to assist those persons with mobility difficulties. The bus service provides transportation from accessible door to accessible door. It is provided on a permanent or temporary basis based on the user’s eligibility.
St. Catharines Paratransit is a shared-ride service provided on St. Catharines Transit vehicles equipped with lifts and accessible seating.
|Monday to Saturday||6:00 am – 11:45 pm|
|Sunday||9:00 am – 8:00 pm|
|Holidays||10:30 am – 6:00 pm|
|Dates||Dispatch Office Hours|
|Monday to Friday||8:30 am – 4:00 pm|
|Contact Method||Numbers and Addresses|
|App & Web Booking Support:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
You must be a physically disabled resident of St. Catharines whose mobility problems prevent or severely inhibit you from walking 175 metres.
An application form must be filled out with a Health Care Professional answering the medical questions. You may pick one up at the downtown bus terminal or the St. Catharines Transit Commission Office or if you’d prefer one mailed to you, you can request it from Paratransit at (905) 685-9844.
For online brochures, application forms, accessibility plans, and more related to Paratransit, please view the Paratransit files on our Documents page.
All trips are booked in advance. Reservations will be accepted Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. This service is obtained on a first call – first served basis. Trips are booked within a 14-day time frame. For inflexible appointments, it is suggested that reservations be made as far in advance as possible to secure the time you require.
This policy was established to ensure the most efficient use of the vehicles by the System registrants. Trips which are cancelled without notice (no-shows) cannot be booked to accommodate other passengers.
If you do not cancel your trip with the Paratransit Office one (1) hour or more before your scheduled pick-up time, you will be charged with a ‘No-Show’.
On the occurrence of the first ‘No-Show’, the registrant will be notified by mail with the step one letter reminding them of our policy. On the occurrence of the second ‘No-Show’, within a twelve month period, STEP TWO applies where the registrant will be billed the $15.00 ‘No-Show’ fee.
Registrants may appeal their notice and staff will take into account the nature of the ‘No-Show’. Examples include; medical appointment that run too long and situations whereby the registrant becomes ill and does not have time to call in for an early morning cancellation.
Mobility Device Policy
Lifts on the Paratransit vehicles can accommodate motorized scooters if they meet our safety standards and size restrictions. If you have an oversized scooter or electric chair, please call the office with measurements and weight.
If using a scooter, you must transfer to a seat unless a doctor states you cannot due to a medical reason. If you are required to remain on your scooter for travel, your scooter must have securement points, as prescribed by the scooter manufacturer. If you need assistance transferring to a seat, you must have a Support Person accompany you.
- Have the address ready before you call to book your ride.
- Please be specific with pick-up or drop off locations (i.e. side door). Be ready at the nearest accessible door 10 minutes before your scheduled pick-up time, drivers are not required to wait more than 5 minutes.
- If a Support Person or escort will be accompanying you on your trip, please inform the office at the time of booking.
- Please notify the Paratransit Dispatcher of any change in address or phone number.
- Please limit parcels to what you can manage, drivers are not required to carry parcels or groceries.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited on Paratransit vehicles.
- Paratransit Operators will assist you to and from the vehicle and through the closest accessible door and will fasten all restraints.
- They will only take your manual wheelchair up or down one step or a curb at the point of pick-up or at your destination.
- Customers using a power wheelchair or scooter must use a ramp.